Can Chihuahuas Have Blue Eyes?

Last Updated on April 14, 2022 by Fabiola L.

Can chihuahuas have blue eyes? Chihuahuas have blue eyes! There’s no question about that. But some people claim chihuahuas can have blue eyes. Is that true? Well, let’s talk about blue eyes and chihuahuas. It’s time to learn how to spot a chihuahua with blue eyes. You’ll find out whether or not Chihuahuas can have blue eyes!

Can Chihuahuas Have Blue Eyes?

While it’s true that chihuahuas can have blue eyes, it’s not because they’re blue-eyed themselves but because they’ve inherited a trait called albinism from their parents. A trait that is passed down through undefined. Because of this, a chihuahua’s eyes are usually brown, and it’s only when the dog is mixed with a larger breed that it receives the blue eye color.

Are Chihuahuas Born Blue-eyed?

One of the most popular myths of the animal kingdom is that Chihuahuas are always born with blue eyes. In fact, blue-eyed Chihuahuas are much rarer than previously thought.  They occur because a recessive gene, called Eucalyptus, that gives blue eyes to Chihuahuas also causes dilated pupils. This condition, known as heterochromia iridis, happens when the blue part of the eye is dilated, but the iris remains white, creating a startling contrast.

Blue-eyed Chihuahuas are only found in litters that also have blue-eyed parents, so the condition is passed along from one generation to another. The blue-eyed trait is common in Chihuahuas, but the dilated pupil is not.

Read more about My Puppies Eyes Are Red: A Comprehensive Guide

Is A Chihuahua’s Eye Color Predetermined By Inheritance Or Heredity?

The answer is no, but the question is intriguing. The answer is no because dogs’ eye color is determined by heredity. A dog inherits two pairs of colored eyes from its parents. This is known as Mendelian inheritance. There are two pairs of colored eyes in a normal dog. They are called heterozygous eyes, and they appear in varying degrees of intensity depending on the dog’s genetics.

What is the rarest eye color in dogs

Will The Puppy’s Eyes Stay Blue?

Puppy eye color is a complex trait that may not always stay blue. A new study found that there are five dominant genes for blue eyes, and two recessive genes for brown eyes. When two dominant genes come together, one will override the other. So, if both parents have blue eyes, there is a 50% chance that their child will have blue eyes, a 25% chance of brown eyes, and a 25% chance of being a carrier of both dominant blue genes (or possibly both brown genes).

On the other hand, if only one parent has blue eyes, then the probability of having blue eyes is reduced to 25%, but the baby can inherit either the brown or the blue gene.

Are There Any Risks Of A Chihuahua With Blue Eyes?

The most common symptom of blue eye color in dogs is that they have poor vision. Their vision will be cloudy, or they may see double or blurry. These dogs will be easily startled by bright lights, loud noises, and sudden movements. This could lead to accidents because they cannot see well. They can also have a problem with their hearing. Dogs with albinism usually have trouble hearing certain sounds.

Dogs with blue eyes are prone to eye problems such as ulceration, swelling, and infection of the cornea. Their eyes may also have scar tissue or tumors. They may also suffer from cataracts or glaucoma. In addition, some dogs with blue eyes are born deaf because of a condition called otosclerosis. This condition results in the bones in the middle ear becoming hardened. This can cause hearing loss and pain.

There is no cure for this condition, but it can be managed. Regular visits to the veterinarian can help keep your pet’s eyes healthy. You can have an eye exam to see if there are any problems. There are also many prescription medications that can be used to treat this condition. In the case of surgery, your veterinarian will make sure that your pet is comfortable before performing the operation.

Final Words On Can Chihuahua Have Blue Eyes!

In conclusion, we know that the vast majority of chihuahuas are blue-eyed, but what about the rest of them? Can some chihuahuas have blue eyes? Of course. Chihuahuas are just dogs, which means they all come from the same genetic pool. That’s why there is such a wide variation in colors and patterns in chihuahuas.


Are Chihuahuas with blue eyes rare?

According to veterinarians, blue-eyed chihuahuas are in fact rare. This is true of blue eyes in Chihuahuas. Chihuahuas with blue eyes are the result of a recessive gene. It's rare to find a litter of Chihuahuas that have both parents with blue eyes. It's possible to find dogs with blue eyes (and brown eyes). But, there's no reason for any dog breeder to breed to produce such a trait.

Do Chihuahua puppies eyes change color?

So, the next time you're looking for a dog, look no further than this adorable little pup with eyes that change colors. The reason this dog’s eyes change color is called heterochromia iridis and it’s quite common among Chihuahuas. The condition is caused by a small genetic flaw, which means there’s no cure for the eyes changing color. Fortunately, however, the problem doesn’t cause any long-term health problems. But if you see this puppy’s eyes are different colors, don’t be afraid to call the vet because it could signal some underlying problem, like cataracts.

What kind of eyes do Chihuahuas have?

So, what kinds of eyes do Chihuahuas have? According to the breed standards of the American Chihuahua Association (ACA), the eyes of a Chihuahua should be dark brown with hazel-colored irises. But, the eyes of a Chihuahua can vary. A Chihuahua with lighter eyes has greater expression and appears friendlier than one with darker eyes. So, when making a decision to buy or not to buy, you need to be aware of what other factors influence your choice.

What is the rarest eye color in dogs?

The answer: Blue! While many breeds of dogs come in different colors, such as chihuahuas, golden retrievers, black Labradors, and white poodles, blue eyes are rare. They're so rare that blue eyes are often considered a trait that's inherited since they appear to run in families. Blue eyes are thought to be rare because the recessive allele for blue eyes isn't expressed unless both parents are carriers, which only happens 1 percent of the time.

Learn mor about Dog With Squinty Eyes: Best Measures To Take